A Travellerspoint blog

Last day in Singapore

sunny 30 °C

We had a lazy start and didn't get up until after 10. We packed out things up and checked out and then went to the Arab quarter to get fried rice and murtabak (a bit like a naan bread with mince in the middle) for breakfast. We wanted to explore the Arab quarter more, but it was really quiet (probably since it was sunday morning) and so we just had a quick look and went back to the hostel, got our bags and took them to another hostel, where we'd be staying the next night, as it was close to the train station (since we had to be there at 4am, and the MRT and buses weren't going to be running).

We then faffed about changing money for the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia (we'd been told there was nowhere to get cash out near there), and then got the MRT to where Susie's Mum lived when she was a little girl. Unfortunately the house isn't there any more, but we had a lovely look around the area, and it was nice just to see a non touristy bit of Singapore! IMG_0257.jpg
We then got dinner at a food court in a nearby shopping centre, and treated ourselves with 3 different dishes - a dim sum and noodle soup, teriyaki chicken and rice and a selection of curries. Yum yum yum :)

We then tried to walk to the MRT stop to get the bus to the Singapore Night Safari (a zoo, but at night). However, it was (a lot) further than it looked on the map, and so we got one bus to the MRT stop and another to the zoo, and got there exactly on time :) Unfortunately as we got off the bus some IDIOT behind Susie stood on the back of her flipflop and broke it :( A big stress, and then a short Blue Peter moment later, the shoe was fixed with 2 hair clips, and off to the zoo we went!

We were both really impressed by the zoo - we saw lots of exciting animals, including a clouded leopard, a giraffe really close, lions, etc. There was also a really good animal show, and we got seats right at the front. It included hyenas, a wolf, and otters who knew how to recycle! We both loved them! It was quite eerie being in a zoo at night, but there were a lot of idiots being noisy (mostly stupid English people), but it wasn't too bad and we just waited for them to go past. We saw almost every animal there was to see, and we came away happy people!
A slightly dark picture of some leopards

We got the bus and the MRT back to the hostel.We love the Singapore MRT. Partly because costs average about S$2 per ride, which is only £1, partly because its clean and efficent and 100% better than the tube, partly because the tickets are recyclable - you pay S$1 (50p) extra as a deposit which you get back when you return the plastic ticket - but mostly because of the singing ladies! At most stations, a message comes over the tanoy with 3 women singing "train is coming, train is coming, train is com-miiiing, please start queing, love yoooouuur ride". It's hysterical, and set to a really catchy jingle, so we're singing it a lot at the moment!
The lovely singing ladies!

Anyway, once we got home, we packed up then fell into bed - 6 hours until we need to be at the train station!

Posted by Susiep539 07:24 Archived in Singapore Tagged singapore

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Shame our old house has gone but thanks for going to look anyway :) Sounds like the zoo at night was quite an experience.

by Sarah

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.